Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The journey begins...

My first blog. Yes, I am late in the game and sometimes feel like the proverbial dinosaur when it comes to facebook, twittering and the like. Was never into mudding and ICQ (oops, I think I just revealed my age) when I was in school and still have trouble keeping up with friends on facebook. Don't get the instant messaging lingo, dislike getting SMSes with so many acromyns it doesn't make sense anymore ...you get the picture. 

Devoted most of my time towards chasing my career, and in the past 5 years, as a full time working mom. It didn't leave much room for fiddling with WWW. So why am I doing this? Not sure, but my last boss felt it was good to record my thoughts by journaling. Also, and this is big for me, I have recently picked up a hobby (see title).

I was inspired by my sister in law's friend who had sewn my daughter a gift. It was a crayon wallet, to bring along for those car rides, and long sit down lunches so the kids can keep occupied. It was absolutely brilliant! and decided to find out where I could get more for my own friends. A little search on google brought me to ETSY and opened up a whole new world for me.

My husband (the sweet man) bought me a basic sewing machine and sent me on my way. I have since attempted to make the crayon wallet for my friends (gave away as Christmas presents, no one would pay money for them :)) and completed a few other zipped purses, pillows for my mum, a shoulder bag and my latest and arguably greatest achievement, a baby quilt. More about these in future posts. Right now, I am just pleased to have actually completed ANY project. My family will attest to the long line of hobbies I have tried out (from teddy bear making, hooked rug, various collections ) but have landed up in cold storage :(

Let's hope this one lasts a little longer. Cheers KK

No comments: