Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Baby steps

This was one of my first attempts at the crayon wallet. Keep in mind I had no idea how to use a sewing machine, so sewing a straight seam was what I was aiming for. I like to jump straight into things and figured I can read the manual along the way then I do get into trouble. Its my impatient nature, problems delaying gratification.

Thankfully, it didn't turn out as bad. What really makes the difference is the lovely fabrics, oh they are sooo nice. I am not one to gush over inanimate objects but whoever started this whole industry of designer quilting fabrics, really knows how to keep you wanting more. I admit, I have spent a sleepless night or two browsing the myriad of choices out there (aside from etsy, there are a ton of sites selling fabrics) . The problem is having to choose a coordinated look, but when you don't actually have a specific project in mind, you end up going " oh, this will look good with that, how about another 1/2 yard of that, maybe I can make a bag with this one too....." Very dangerous territory. The stuff is not cheap either. You can spend the time to hunt down the best bargains, and there are some good ones out there, but my impatient self will usually go with whatever is the most convenient. Besides, in this part of the world, shipping isn't cheap and not all sellers are willing to ship to the Far East. Thankfully, I am still able to get my hands on these awesome fabrics. Will try to take a pic of my stash. Modest by any standard, but lovely to me all the same.

I've used the Hushabye by Tula pink in this project.

No comments: