Sunday, May 30, 2010

Loot from Japan

The family vacation is officially over *sniff* *sniff*. I take comfort in the fact that all 3 of us enjoyed ourselves, and that I managed to find all the fabric stores I had planned on visiting. I admit to being very conservative with my purchases, knowing we will have to haul the entire lot across Tokyo JR station at morning rush hour on our return trip. There were plenty of the cutesy Kawaii prints available but a lot of my choices were made on price and availability from the online stores (fabric shopping was done on our first 2 days there so wasn't certain that we had enough cash to for Disneyland.). Nevertheless, it was rather enjoyable oogling at the HUGE range of fabrics and notions they have over there. No regrets!

Found the Freebird range for only 380yen a meter!
Couldn't resist the fat quarters at the Tomato main store 5th floor.  You will understand if you have ever visited the place. I swear they must be dispersing some narcotic through their ventilation system because there is definitely a sense of euphoria as you browse.
Also seemed to gravitate toward these elephant prints throughout the trip. Not sure why....




On the advice of a friend, also hit the laminated fabrics and pre-quilted sections,  though I am not entirely sure what I am going to do with them!

For those of you who plan to go fabric shopping Tokyo soon, do note that the Yuzawaya store Kichijoji is currently undergoing extensive renovation, and the premises have moved about a block to the XoXo building. Its condensed to 2 floors, so you may be a little disappointed with the fabric selection.

I found the Nippori textile town a dream come true. For detailed instructions on how to get there with a map of all the shops, visit this link. You may also find this link useful.  Tokyo Crafty Shopping for some other finds in Tokyo.


Here are some other fabrics which arrived while we were away:



So many projects, so little time.

No comments: